Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A True-life Mystery

A riddle, dear readers.

What has two horns, a wooden leg, and a super-cooled nuclear core?

Feel free to think about it long and hard--but if you need help solving this riddle, allow me to elucidate with the following clues.



CLUE # 1: The Costume Shop.

In our town of Provo, there is a certain costume shop on Center street that always has scantily-clad mannequins displayed in the windows. One day, while Allison and Sawyer were walking by said shop...







Dada!








CLUE # 2: The Storybook.

One day, while innocently reading a picture book together...







Dada!








Clue # 3: The Screensaver Slideshow.

And again, one morning while Sawyer was watching our family photos go by on the slideshow...











Dada!




















Something the matter, honey?

Yeah...

How certain are you that I'm Sawyer's father?




These are, of a truth, how events unfolded.
So, have you guessed the answer to the riddle?





[Addendum: Sawyer has moved from the habit of pointing at seemingly random things and saying "Dada," to the habit of pointing at seemingly random things and saying "Not Dada." For instance, the other day he brought me a book from our shelf and, while pointing proudly to the cover image of a weathered and bearded Walt Whitman, exclaimed "NOT DADA!" He followed this by further explaining to me that Mr. Whitman is also "Not Jesus" and "Not Santa."]

27 comments:

Scott C. Gwynn said...

That was hilarious! If it makes you feel any better, I don't think my daughter actually knows who I am.

Simini said...

That pretty much made my morning. Little kids are the best. Thanks for sharing.

Alex J. Bell said...

Fantastic, fun boards. Absolutely love your timing and pacing.

RAWLS said...

haha, that's great man!! Quite a lot of work you put into this!

Madeline K. Rupard said...

Haha, that is so hilarious. Love it.

JAKE WYATT said...

So... you ARE the father, right?

Brant Moon said...

Great drawings Anthony!

Will Strong said...

Kids don't always make sense. Jed's kid took her first steps to me and not to either parent. It's true. There is video evidence.

Claire Gordon said...

Haha! Sawyer is so cute, I love how he's drinking from his sippy cup while watching the slideshows. That made my night, awesome storyboard adventures!

Aaron Ludwig said...

Good stuff.

Joey Majdali said...

I don't actually laugh at a lot of things when I'm just siting alone in my room and there's no one get me started with their own laughter. Y'know?
I laughed out loud at this. Very nice facial expressions!
P.S. - The word verification for this post required that I type the word "undarks". Now I feel racist.

Geo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geo said...

(Durn typo.)

Sometimes you have to figure out who you're not before you can learn who you really are. Stick with it! Sawyer's helping you get edumacated.

Ty Carter said...

ha! I especially love the third one:)

Unknown said...

I was laughing so hard I was crying when I looked at these! More adventures of Sawyer and the Dada! Please!

PS
What is a bolhal? That was my word verification. I am nervous to look it up myself...

Chelsea Stebar said...

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

And your storyboards own mine. And you just did it for fun...

Michael said...

These are fantastic!

Jared Scott Greenleaf said...

This is just too funny. Your expressions are spot on.

Cheryl Johnson said...

Hippie, you've always been so good at telling the whole story in one image and yet here nothing is lost and much is gained with it all laid out in boards! You truly are a master of both time and space.

And now, solely because everyone else felt the need to tell you their verification word, I give you: upgralt.

Is it just me or are they starting to sound more and more like real words?

Anonymous said...

Taylor Made!

Naoki Araiza said...

cute lovely awesome drawings... everything...

Ashley Jin Kim said...

Ah---mazing... I am now a fan.

Jon Davis said...

This is absolute class.
And really funny.
Top stuff :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome my friend!! Those tickled my fancy! jajajaja!

sadexcuse4amango said...

I love how I can totally see your true facial expressions through your cartoon-self. Haha.

I also love that you drew about a gazillion to make this. Hilarious.

kwistin said...

I can't even explain how happy this makes me. And I love that you storyboard your family history.

Dang lucky decedents.

ps, Sawyer continues to be one of my favorite little kids.

Sugumarje said...

Wow Wonderful Sketch with Telling funny way :)
Kids are really kids, they only can understand their thoughts :P
I hope he acquired you now!

The Illustrious and Illustrative Sketch Adventure Lifestyle of Anthony Holden. Cartoons, Sketches, Character Designs, Storyboards, Comics, Illustration, Animation, Silly thoughts, Intermittent Posting, and Arbitrary Capitalization by American animation artist, Anthony Holden. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!
All content on this page copyright 2007-2011 Anthony L. Holden. Do not use without permission, except for purposes of review.