Sunday, October 26, 2008

T'is the Season

Yup. From our friends at Man Groomer.com--everything you've been waiting for. So, I don't know that this is necessarily any scarier than a home paternity test, but the idea that an adjustable-armed back hair trimmer is available for purchase to the general public kind of frightens me. There are some jobs that only a professional should attempt. And even then, I feel sorta sorry for the professional whose job it is to take care of the hairy back of society.

On a related note, today our little family happened to travel up north to visit some close family friends (who are practically family) for a dinner get together. On the way there we counted a number of billboards that advertised either laser hair removal or liposuction--I can't believe how obsessed we are with our bodies; it's unhealthy.

But, I digress--now, onto the funny pictures!


Here are some recent sketches from around church and school.
The look on this kid (the one on the right hand page)'s face was priceless. His parents walked away and he had no idea what to do with himself. Of course, instead of helping him I drew him.

And speaking of helpless children. Here's one of Sawyer at dinner time...which is another instance of me drawing instead of helping. I'd better be careful before this becomes a habit.

On Thursday of last week, Disney story artist Mark Walton (who is also the voice of the hamster Rhino in the upcoming Disney feature animation Bolt) came to lecture at our school. He sort of looks a little bit like Sigmund Freud, but Mark is Mormon so I'm pretty sure he doesn't smoke--let's pretend it's a bubble pipe.

A sketch of somethin' brewin' in m'brain.


Some dudes from church today. After not drawing with this pen for so long, I forgot how much fun it is, but I really like my Uniball Jetstream 0.7 mm ball point. Unlike other Uniball pens, the ink doesn't come pouring out the minute you touch the pen to the page. Groovy.

10 comments:

JAKE WYATT said...

Very rock and roll. And, just because it'll amuse you to know...

reffil

Will Strong said...

Shaving the hairy back of society sounds like some kind of weird political agenda.

I love the kid with the pencil.

Mr. H is rocking too.

Jenna said...

so...is that what you are getting for nick this year? (because i may have already purchased one...)

Aaron Ludwig said...

The whole thing where people are desperately trying to remove every ounce of hair from their bodies makes me (an incredibly hairless beach-ape) feel somewhat like a star-bellied Sneetch.
I love the sketch of Mark.... except, judging by the contents spewing forth, it looks more like a "word pipe" than a "bubble pipe".

Laura said...

Ew. Ew. Ew.
I'm not sure which is worse: the idea that people have enough hair on their back or all that hair being strewn across a room after the shaving.

blech.

I love the sketch of Mark! That's really great. And Sawyer. And that little kid who caged into his starched shirt and abandoned by his parents.

Jed said...

first page of sketches, top left image of the kid. Alive!

Nick said...

I was about to post and rat out your sister for being one obsessed with getting rid of my back hair...but I see she has no problem admitting that. Don't tell her where to get this manscaper, its one thing if she takes care of it for me, but for me to have to do it by myself just feels, well, wrong.

Ty Carter said...

The brewin' in your brain sketch reminds me of living in Harlem...Very fun! You should make a gang.

Howard Shum said...

Nice sketches!

Dancing Man said...

Hey Anthony -
I just ran across this sketch you did of me online - man, I look really cool! (isn't it terrible how people tend to look really cool smoking something?) You're a sketchin' machine, it's really inspiring!
---Mark

The Illustrious and Illustrative Sketch Adventure Lifestyle of Anthony Holden. Cartoons, Sketches, Character Designs, Storyboards, Comics, Illustration, Animation, Silly thoughts, Intermittent Posting, and Arbitrary Capitalization by American animation artist, Anthony Holden. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!
All content on this page copyright 2007-2011 Anthony L. Holden. Do not use without permission, except for purposes of review.